Learn Orienteering has assembled some excellent ways to find directions when you find yourself lost without a compass or GPS. Here are the ways you can do it:
- The stick method, which is the most time consuming but he most accurate.
- The sick method, the short version.
- The Big Dipper method.
- The analog watch method. (This one's really cool.)
- The make-your-own-compass-with-a-stick-pin method.
- The tree (or natural) method, which is probably the most unreliable method of estimating direction.
To see how to implement these methods, hike on over to Learn Orienteering. Even if you never need to use these techniques, they're very interesting to know.